Distance Learning Class
Mitchell Senior Self-contained Distance Learning Class (SDL)
Before a student enters SDL, both the student and parent will sign the AESD Student Engagement Plan. This plan is a guideline for student attendance and achievements with expectations that must be met by the student before they will return to their regular schedule.
Grading will be determined utilizing a point/percent system. The standard grading scale will be used. Daily assignments, quizzes, projects and tests will have point values, and the total percentage will determine the final report card grade.
- Class grade will be based on daily assignments, quizzes, projects and tests.
Requirements for academic subjects:
Language Arts - 1 Lesson per WEEK (including lesson TUTORIAL and MASTERY TEST with a score of 80% or higher)
Math - Math Review - 5 Lessons per WEEK (including lesson TUTORIAL, PRACTICE, and MASTERY TEST with a score of 80% or higher)
- Grade Level - 3 Lessons per WEEK (including lesson TUTORIAL, APPLICATION, and MASTERY TEST with a score of 80% or higher)
History - 1 Lesson per WEEK (including lesson TUTORIAL and MASTERY TEST with a score of 80% or higher)
Science - 1 Lesson per WEEK (including lesson TUTORIAL and MASTERY TEST with a score of 80% or higher)
- LATE WORK will be accepted.
II. Daily Schedule:
8:00 - 8:15 = Zoom Check-in
8:15 - 9:05 = Science
9:15 - 10:05 = History
10:15 - 10:55 = P.E.
11:05 - 11:55 = ELA
11:55 - 12:30 = Lunch
12:30 - 1:20 = Math
1:20 - 2:00 = Zoom meeting for questions or issues / Zoom check-out / Exit ticket
- The 8:00 a.m. Zoom Check-in is a daily REQUIREMENT.
- The 1:20 p.m. Zoom Check-out will be at Mr. St. Onge’s discretion.
- The State of California requires that every middle school student complete 240 minutes of educational related activities each and every day. If this schedule is followed, you will have met the state’s requirements. Mr. St. Onge will also be monitoring you throughout the day using GoGuardian. There will be multiple ways for you to contact Mr. St. Onge between the hours of 8:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. (Zoom, GoGuardian chat, PLATO message, phone)
- If you decide to work outside of this schedule, between 12:01 a.m. and 12:00 p.m. of each day you must complete the 240 minutes which will be kept by the “TIME ON TASK CLOCK” built into Edmuntum PLATO. This means that if you choose to work from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m., you are more than welcome to do that, but you need to work. You can’t just login to PLATO and walk away. The “TIME ON TASK CLOCK” will only keep your minutes if you are actually working. Please keep this in mind.
- To return to your regular academic schedule with your other MSE teachers, you must Zoom check-in every day at 8:00 a.m. and follow the schedule shown above for an extended period of time before you will be reassigned to your regular schedule.
III. Distance Learning Information:
- Daily student attendance will be required for in-person and distance learning instruction models. The 8:00 a.m. Zoom Check-in is a daily requirement. The 1:20 Zoom Check-out will be at Mr. St. Onge’s discretion.
- Parents will still need to communicate with the school office regarding their child’s attendance.
(209)357-6515 or (209)357-6124
- A student who misses more than three days will be contacted by the school and monitored. Absences that are unexcused could result in a review with School Attendance Review Team and/or School AttendanceReview Board.
Students @ home:
- Please create a quiet place to work with your learning tools and materials available and have all of your supplies available with you during instructional time.
- Please be dressed as they would be to attend school in person and ready to learn at the start of their class.
- Eat your breakfast, lunch and snacks before class begins so you are not eating during live instruction.
The social-emotional well-being of our students during this time is of the utmost importance to the Atwater Elementary School District. In order to provide students with the support they need, AESD will implement the
following tiers of social emotional intervention:
❏ Tier 1 : All students will receive social emotional learning through the implementation of the Second Step curriculum. This evidence based curriculum will provide students with a foundation of social emotional wellness and character development.
❏ Tier 2: Students in need of additional support will participate in social skills groups targeting key skills including social problem solving, conflict management, and self-esteem. Intervention at this level could also include a referral to Strengthening Families, a Merced County based program to support students’ well-being.
❏ Tier 3: If students demonstrate a need for support beyond Tier 2, the school’s mental health intervention team, including the school’s psychologist, will work closely with families to provide individualized support.
Grading, Classwork, and Participation:
Unlike March-June 2020, students will be receiving letter grades for their assignments. Students are expected to complete their assignments and participate in class as if they are attending in person. Each teacher will share their grading policies and expectations once online instruction begins. Please communicate with your student’s teachers if you need further clarification or guidance. Students are encouraged to ask questions via email if they need to.
There will also be plenty of time to ask questions during class times.
Chromebook, Technology Help:
If you are having trouble with your chromebook, email, etc, please call (209)357-9891 as soon as possible.
Keep in touch with our latest news and updates :
ASA Website (LINK) - Also, please make sure our office has all your updated contact information so you do not miss out on important information.
Aeries Portal - Keep up-to-date on your student’s grades and contact teachers through the Aeries Portal.
If there are any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me at any time. You may call the school directly at 357-6515 or you can leave a message at the same number, or call the Mitchell Senior Office at 357-6124. You may email me via the link below, my address is: