Atwater Elementary School District
Student Cell Phone Policy
School Cell Phone Policy:
Atwater Elementary School District recognizes that instructional time and the school environment must be protected from unnecessary disruptions and distractions. Students are not to use cell phones during school hours. Students shall be permitted to have cell phones in their possession under the following guidelines:
- Cell phones may be used before school outside of the gated area of the campus or after instructional hours.
- During the instructional day, cell phones must be put away, not visible, and turned off…putting a cell phone on silent, airplane mode or vibrate does not constitute being turned off. All 5th - 8th grade students are required to store in a Yondr pouch throughout the school day.
- At no time are students allowed to take pictures/videos with a cell phone or any electronic device.
- The school is not responsible for lost, stolen or broken cell phones and/or any electronic device.
- Cell phones and/or any electronic device that are used in violation of this school policy will be confiscated and turned into the office. Furthermore, disciplinary consequences may be issued. Any electronic device that is confiscated will ONLY be returned to the parent or guardian.
All 5-8 grade students will be assigned a Yondr pouch, similar to being assigned a textbook. While the Yondr Pouch is school property, it is the student’s responsibility to make sure their pouch is not damaged. The pouches will remain at school for student use unless the school determines that students will be allowed to take the pouch to and from school each day. Students are responsible for their pouch at all times.
Beginning of school day: As students enter school, they will:
- turn their phone off
- get their assigned pouch
- place their phone and accessories that connect to the phone (earbuds, headphones, etc.) inside the pouch
- securely close and lock the pouch
Each student will maintain possession of their cell phone inside their Yondr Pouch for the duration of the school day. Late students will do this process at the Main Office or at the assigned location.
End of school day: At the end of the school day, every student will:
- unlock their pouch using an Unlocking Base
- remove their phone (and any other possessions) from their pouch
- place the pouch in the appropriate pouch storage location or if school designates, the student will be allowed to take the pouch home with them
If a parent/guardian checks their student out of school early, the student will unlock their pouch at the main office.
Each of the following violations will result in the confiscation of the student’s phone and/or pouch by school administration or a staff member:
- Using a mobile communication device (cell phone) during school hours
- Physical damage to the pouch in an attempt to circumvent its intended purpose
The Yondr Pouch is property of Atwater Elementary School District. If a student damages a pouch or is caught using a cell phone on campus, Administration will collect the cell phone/pouch.
- Phone Violation:
- Confiscate cell phone and the parent/guardian must come to pick up the cell phone
- The student may use the school phone to call home to let parent/guardian know that they will need to come pick up the cell phone
- Cell phone violation will be logged
Second Violation~ In addition to items a through c as stated above, the student must start to lock their cell phone in a designated area each day. (i.e. support services, main office, etc.).
Third Violation~ In addition to a through c as stated above, the student must lock their cell phone in a pouch and leave the cell phone in a location designated by site administration OR the student does not bring the cell phone to school for a set amount of time as determined by site administration.
- Pouch Violation (damage/lost):
- The cell phone and pouch will be confiscated and the parent/guardian must come to pick up the cell phone
- The student/parent will be required to pay $15.00 to replace the damaged school property
- The student will not be assigned a new pouch until the fee is paid (for a damaged pouch). The first violation of a lost pouch will result in the student’s use of a “loaner” pouch until the fee is paid. Additional lost pouches after they have been reissued will be treated as a damaged pouch.
Second Violation~ In addition to a through d as stated above, the student will be required to leave the cell phone in a location designated by site administration OR the student does not bring the cell phone to school for a set amount of time as determined by site administration.
*School administration reserves the right to implement a behavior contract and/or further disciplinary action in the event of excessive or severe violations of policies*